Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slow Sand Filter

I built this slow sand filter for my water treatment - only problem was that the sand I got was probably 90% clay. It took two full weekends to wash enough sand for the filter. It's much easier when you have 300 school children helping out. This whole project was a bit of a pain, but gave me something to do. The pipes and the pipe fittings didn't fit together, then I had to find some metal rod to make the holes in the pipe. Cutting out the hole in the side of the bucket was kind of a pain, and after washing, making rubber washers out of motorcycle tubes, the thing LEAKED!! I messed with it yesterday (used PVC glue) and hopefully it doesn't pour water all over my floor anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment